For those who don’t know, Sephora Play is a beauty subscription box that costs $10 per month. You get samples of products sold in Sephora stores based on whatever the month’s theme is. For February, the theme was “The Soft Side,” which means that products were centered around looking natural and enhancing natural beauty. Each box comes with a card; this month’s gave us 50 extra Beauty Insider points with any in-store purchase. I hope they expand that to online soon, but alright.
This month’s bag was super cute. I love the pale, pink-mauve color. However, this bag is SO cheaply made. There are threads coming off of it everywhere. I wanted to love it so much because it’s so cute on the outside, but Sephora really cheaped out on this. I’ll probably just be getting rid of mine, honestly.
All in all, I loved this month’s bag way, way more than last month’s. Most of the products are a hit for me (pictured above to the right, with a dry Beauty Blender for size comparison). This month’s products (and my thoughts) are as follows:
- Nars Velvet Lip Glide in Bound: I was originally not psyched to get a pink shade because I never wear a pink lip. I love more grungy/vampy lips or red lips. However, this shade turned out to be more of a brown-based, mauve pink. This is supposed to be a liquid lipstick that is semi-matte, but I wouldn’t really even say it is semi-matte. It just feels like a lipstick but with a doe foot applicator. The color is opaque and not at all patchy. All in all, I really loved this more than I expected to. I think this shade would be flattering on pretty much any skin tone, which after last month’s skin tone disaster was a very welcoming surprise.
- Marc Jacobs fragrance in Divine Decadence: This scent is described as champagne floral with hints of earl grey, and I think that about nails it. It’s a nice, clean scent that isn’t too overpowering. I smelled this once in store and I hated it, but for some reason when I tried this sample out thinking I was going to give it to my mom, I ended up kind of liking it. It’s not my favorite, but I’ll wear it. I do appreciate that Sephora Play gives monthly perfume samples.
- Clinique Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer: I have dry skin so a moisturizer is always welcome. This moisturizer is pretty light-weight, which honestly is not my favorite. I prefer a rich, deeply moisturizing product but it’s alright for daytime. I think oily and combo skin types would love this. It’s oil-free and has no noticeable scent to me.
- Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream: I kind of am not fully sold on the necessity of eye creams, honestly. It’s nice and moisturizing and de-puffs my undereye nicely, so I’m glad I have it but I think most lotions do that.
- Too Faced Lip Injection Glossy in Milkshake: I don’t know how I feel about lip
plumpers. They work by irritating your lips basically and making blood rush to your lips. The effect is short-lived and many people have bad reactions to them. This one sort of works, like all of them, but I kind of like my lips already and don’t really need it. This is the only product this month I think I may just not use, but we’ll see. The color is nice.
- Sephora Collection Lashcraft Length & Volume Mascara: I honestly have not yet tried this because I want to use up a few other mascaras I have before opening this sample. I like the wand; it’s thick and looks separating. I’m excited to test this out. I enjoy not having to buy full-size mascaras because you are supposed to replace your mascaras every 3-6 months, and I find I never use a full size in that amount of time.